• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Best OTC pain reliever?

TearItDown

Bluelighter
Alright guys. I'm in a SHIT ton of pain right now. Every time I swallow it feels like I'm swallowing knives or glass. It's so painful. I know I have some sort of bacterial infection in my throat. I phoned in a prescription for Azithromycin yesterday and have begun taking it. I'm still in a world of pain though. I've been drinking some liquid cough medicine every few hours and it definitely helps. Can someone please give me a suggestion on an OTC pain reliever that could help me out? Please help me out...

Pretty sure any OTC medicine with codeine is banned in the US. Thanks though :)

Pretty sure any OTC medicine with codeine is banned in the US. Thanks though :)

Yeah, you need a doctor to prescribe you anything with codeine in it.

I second the ibuprofen! Honestly, I think it's better for pain than the narcotics at times, depending on the type of pain. I'd also think about having some green tea, or something warm and soothing for your throat. Feel better, that sounds awful.

Yeah, you need a doctor to prescribe you anything with codeine in it.

I second the ibuprofen! Honestly, I think it's better for pain than the narcotics at times, depending on the type of pain. I'd also think about having some green tea, or something warm and soothing for your throat. Feel better, that sounds awful.

Running to the store to pick up some ibuprofen. Would you suggest acetaminophen? I have a bottle of 500 mg pills (labeled as tension headache medicine).

I used to use a lot of OTC pain medication (for migraines) when I was younger, this is before I saw a doctor and went through all sorts of random scripts for that, but that's another story.

My recommendation:

1. Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) - by far the best, longest lasting as well.
2. Ibuprofen - 600mg + works quite well
3. Good ol' aspirin
4. Tylenol (yuck)

Thanks for the advice. Went to the doctor a short while ago. the 5 minute flash test came back positive after 15 seconds, after I'd already taken 3 doses of an antibiotic. this strep is strong as fuck. I hate whoever gave me strep at skrillex. Seriously, I want them to die.

if you've got strep you should easily be able to get a short course of narcotics for pain. real strep throat is well known for being excruciating.

Stay away from acetaminophen (Tylenol) and use either Aleve or Ibuprofen.

However, you may just need to go to the doctor and get an opiate pain medicine, you don't just have a minor ache or pain.

Why should I stay away from the acetaminophen? Also what dosage would you suggest for the aleve and ibuprofen?

Aleve 200 - 400mg
Ibuprofen 400 - 800mg

Stay away from Tylenol/acetaminophen because it is a nasty drug that does bad things to your liver and is a crappy pain reliever in the first place.

The aleve and ibuprofen helped a lot, thanks for all your help guys! My antibiotics are kicking this strep to the curb. Now it actually doesn't hurt at all when I swallow, but I am still sick and feel sorta shitty. Thanks again for helping me out! I really needed it haha.

Aleve 200 - 400mg
Ibuprofen 400 - 800mg

Stay away from Tylenol/acetaminophen because it is a nasty drug that does bad things to your liver and is a crappy pain reliever in the first place.

Calling APAP nasty while recommending ibuprofen? NICE...

APAP can be taken safely in dosis of up to 3500 mg per day short term. Without liver damage. Enjoy.

best OTC painkiller in Australia is rikodeine (active ingredient dihydrocodeine)-NO SCRIP NEEDED but you have to say you have a persistent dry cough and the doctor told you to take this.

It is only given for coughs here, but half the bottle is 190mg of DHC which is about 350mg of codeine or 35mg of MORPHINE equivalent!!!! Good buzz, too!!

I used to use a lot of OTC pain medication (for migraines) when I was younger, this is before I saw a doctor and went through all sorts of random scripts for that, but that's another story.

My recommendation:

1. Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) - by far the best, longest lasting as well.
2. Ibuprofen - 600mg + works quite well
3. Good ol' aspirin
4. Tylenol (yuck)

Naproxen also has a good safety profile in terms of increased risk of having a heart attack/stroke. Much better than a lot of the others.